> NGA Transfer of Ownership
NGA Transfer of Ownership
This form is worth $10 to SEGA. It could be invaluable to you in the event your friend is ever lost.
Congratulations on the addition of a Greyhound to your family! This truly is an exciting time in your life. You have done everything you can to give your new friend the comforts of a home--a warm bed, a quiet place to sleep, toys, and lots of love. And as much as anyone hates to think about you two becoming separated, you have no doubt protected your friend by putting SEGA’s star tag and another identification tag with pertinent contact information around its neck.
But within the Greyhound racing registry, you are still not the registered owner of your Greyhound. Someone else is—someone known to the National Greyhound Association (NGA), officially recognized by the Greyhound industry as the sole registry for racing Greyhounds on the North American continent. The NGA maintains officials records of all Greyhound litters and their registered owners.
It is important for you to transfer registration of your Greyhound from its registered owner to you. That way the NGA shows you as the registered owner. Should the NGA ever be contacted by someone who has found your hound, they can help reunite you and your friend.
To complete the transfer process, follow these steps:
- Visit the NGA's website and follow the instructions to complete a pet transfer request via email.
- Complete the information requested on the form and click the Submit button. The information will be submitted to the NGA via email.
- Within a couple of weeks (and in many cases just a few days) you will receive a notice from the NGA that will give you the name and address of your Greyhound’s registered owner along with an Application for Transfer of Ownership of Retired Racing Greyhound (similar to the one shown above).
- Complete your Greyhound’s information at the top of the form.
- At the bottom of the form you are able to designate $10 of your $30 transfer fee to a Greyhound pet agency of your choice. To designate that donation to SEGA, put Southeastern Greyhound Adoption as the agency and have the donation sent to Drew Smith, 665 Mount Carmel Church Road, Temple, GA 30179.
- Mail the completed form to your Greyhound's registered owner using the address provided by the NGA. To make the process for your Greyhound’s registered owner as expeditious possible, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the certificate. It will probably increase your chances of getting a response from the registered owner if you include a short, polite, and positive letter explaining who you are, telling a little about how the Greyhound is doing in his new home, and thanking the owner for seeing that he was made available for adoption. Many adopters report receiving back with the signed transfer of ownership form a note from the registered owner, perhaps telling them a little about the Greyhound's racing career or even enclosing puppy pictures.
- Once you receive the signed form back from the registered owner, send the form and a $30 check to the NGA at P.O. Box 543, Abilene, Kansas 67410-0543. NGA will then transfer ownership to you and send you a registration certificate that carries all the pertinent information on your Greyhound pet: official NGA name, pet name (optional), color, sex, whelping date, two-generation pedigree, and complete bertillion (markings).
So take a few minutes as you are beginning to get to know each other and further help protect your friend by registering with the National Greyhound Association. It’s that easy. Remember, he is relying on you for everything now.